September 24, 2014
Dear Discovery Charter School Friends and Families: Although we have begun the second year in our beautiful new building, the fundraising effort to secure and maintain our future is far from over. We are asking that every family make a pledge to contribute to our Capital Campaign Fund in whatever amount that is most suitable to your budget. All of those that have walked through our doors have seen the spectacular Donor’s Tree in the main lobby. You may have wondered how your family or corporation could be commemorated as a DCS supporter. Contributors have their names engraved on a stone for a donation of $100-$500. Donors of $500-$1,000 receive an engraved leaf. The top tier of contributors, donating $1,000 and over, are honored with an engraved dove. Pledge cards are available at the front desk for individual donations. Corporate donations can be made through the office of Pamela Evans, School and Community Liaison. Your generous support is greatly appreciated. Sincerely,
Capital Campaign Fund Committee
Discovery Charter School
Discovery Charter School, located in the West Parkside area of the city, is surrounded by beautiful, scenic Fairmount Park. It serves over 800 students in grades kindergarten through eighth grade. Now in its twelfth year, Discovery has a professional, support and volunteer staff of 100 persons.
Our Vision is to empower children to develop knowledge, skills, attitudes, and behaviors that will make them lifetime learners and engage them in opportunities where they can put them into practice.
Our Mission is to connect what is learned in the classroom to the real world. The learning program provides extensive opportunity to make education relevant through “discoveries outside the classroom”. Through an expeditionary learning approach, educational concepts are made concrete and reinforce the necessary relationship between actual experience and education.
“Where education is not just preparation for life, but life itself ”
- 18 Sep 2014Transportation Updates!Parent Transportation Letter 7555 and 7556 Route Changes...
- 18 Sep 2014Arrival and Dismissal ProceduresADMISSION AND DISMISSAL PROCEDURES NO STUDENTS WILL BE PERMITTED TO ENTER OR EXIT THE BUILDING THROUGH THE MAIN ENTRANCE ON BELMONT AVENUE Students arriving by bus will be brought through the security gates and unloaded at the gymnasium entrance where they will enter the building and report directly to their classrooms. Students arriving by car […]...
- 17 Sep 2014Discovery Charter School is Taking Action!Stop the Violence Community March Discovery Charter School is participating in the Hand Across Philadelphia Second Annual Stop the Violence Community March! Come take a stand against violence in our community, violence in our families, and violence in our schools on September 27th at 12:00pm at 52nd and Woodland. Please reference the flyer for more […]...
- 11 Sep 2014Pretzel Day!Our weekly pretzel day will remain Thursday again this school year. Pretzels are .50¢ each or $1 for a pretzel with cheese. Middle school students can buy them during their lunch period. Primary school students can give the money to their teacher for their order. Please do not bring any money to the main office....
- 28 Aug 2014Attention: Letter From CEO/Principal Nina BrevardLetter from Nina Brevard...