September 24, 2014
Dear Discovery Charter School Friends and Families: Although we have begun the second year in our beautiful new building, the fundraising effort to secure and maintain our future is far from over. We are asking that every family make a pledge to contribute to our Capital Campaign Fund in whatever amount that is most suitable to your budget. All of those that have walked through our doors have seen the spectacular Donor’s Tree in the main lobby. You may have wondered how your family or corporation could be commemorated as a DCS supporter. Contributors have their names engraved on a stone for a donation of $100-$500. Donors of $500-$1,000 receive an engraved leaf. The top tier of contributors, donating $1,000 and over, are honored with an engraved dove. Pledge cards are available at the front desk for individual donations. Corporate donations can be made through the office of Pamela Evans, School and Community Liaison. Your generous support is greatly appreciated. Sincerely,
Capital Campaign Fund Committee
Discovery Charter School
Discovery Charter School, located in the West Parkside area of the city, is surrounded by beautiful, scenic Fairmount Park. It serves over 800 students in grades kindergarten through eighth grade. Now in its twelfth year, Discovery has a professional, support and volunteer staff of 100 persons.
Our Vision is to empower children to develop knowledge, skills, attitudes, and behaviors that will make them lifetime learners and engage them in opportunities where they can put them into practice.
Our Mission is to connect what is learned in the classroom to the real world. The learning program provides extensive opportunity to make education relevant through “discoveries outside the classroom”. Through an expeditionary learning approach, educational concepts are made concrete and reinforce the necessary relationship between actual experience and education.
“Where education is not just preparation for life, but life itself ”
- 26 Mar 2015Intent to Return2015-2016 Intent to Return Form Can you believe it? The year is almost gone and we are preparing for next years enrollment. Please complete this form and initial next to your response and return it to your child’s teacher by Monday, April 13, 2015. If we do not receive a form for your child, then […]...
- 26 Mar 2015Founder’s Day Celebration!It’s a Celebration! Parents, come join Discovery Charter School in celebrating “Founder’s Day” on Thursday, April 16th from 9:30 am to 3 pm. There will be food, activities and loads of fun. If you would like to partake in the day’s activities, you must RSVP by Thursday, April 2nd. To confirm your attendance, please send […]...
- 24 Mar 2015Common Core Family Night!2015 Family Common Core Night Support Your Student at Home! Grades 3rd – 8th · Get suggestions from the teachers on how to support your child for the PSSA. · Get tips for specific content areas, vocabulary, websites, and benchmark assessments. Workshop presentations for ELA, Math & Science. Tuesday, March 31, 2015 6:00 – 8:00PM […]...
- 23 Mar 2015High School NightHigh School Night Parents, it’s time to begin the process of getting ready for High Schools! It is MANDATORY for 7th grade parents and students to come to Discovery Charter School’s “High School Night” on Wednesday, March 25th at 6 pm. Sixth grade parents and students are invited to attend. The process for applying for […]...
- 17 Mar 2015Activities for the Week of March 16, 2015Parents, the report card conference is on Wednesday, March 18th from 1:30-4:00 pm and 5:30-7:30 pm. All students will dismiss at 1 pm. All balances must be current or paid in full by Tuesday, March 17th by 4:30 pm, in order to receive your child’s report card. Also, the Scholastic Bookfair is at Discovery Charter […]...